Wednesday, January 11, 2006
100 Things Mella
An incomplete, somewhat incoherant list of 100 little-pieces that make me who I am:

I have weighed 180 – without being pregnant.

I was more comfortable with my body before I lost the weight. (I didn’t realize I had been ‘heavy’ until people started complimenting me on being thin.)

Pot sa vorbesc romaneste. - I can speak (some) Romanian.

I am petrified of heights.

I’ve never lost anyone close to me. (I’m petrified of that as well.)

I’m a Christian.

I thrive on change (in my own life)

But I get nostalgic watching those around me evolve and move on.

I am pro-life.

But, I avoid debates (of any kind – I loathe them)

I don’t own any new fangled personal gizmo’s (palm pilots, cell phones with camera’s, ipods, etc)

I would either break or lose them if I did.

I’ve lost my wedding band/engagement ring for months at a time.

I am a good listener.

I can sing, but don’t.

I am nosey.

I have had mono, hepatitis and lice all at the same time. I was 20.

“22” is my favorite number.

I am older than my husband.

Up until I met him, I was convinced that I was never going to get married.

I was 22 when when we exchanged vows in a local garden.

He is the only person I’ve ever slept with.

I’ve kissed more people than I can count on all fingers and toes

I have (unknowingly) kissed someone who was in a serious relationship with another girl.

I still feel bad about it.

I can forgive others with ease, but have trouble forgiving myself.

I am a worrier

I worry at least once a day that my son is not going to wake up from his nap.

Daily, I feel as though I'm not the mother/wife/writer/friend that I should be.

I don’t keep track of new music.

The last CD I bought (for myself) was The Cure, Galore (to replace the one I’d played into oblivion.)

I do not have an eating disorder, but I do have very disordered eating habits.

The spicier the better.

I eat my pizza without meat or cheese.

I don’t eat red meat or pork.

I can watch hours of the food network,

But I’ll never actually make any of the dishes I see prepared.

I read the magazine covers in store checkout lines – especially any with pictures of (alleged) celebrity weight loss/gain.

The headlines make me feel better about my low-pressure, non-celebrity life.

I love Disney World.

I am not a beach girl (I like to be busy and lying on the beach for hours bores me.)

I prefer vacations to involve theater, museums and ‘old stuff’ (ie: visiting ruins, tours of old buildings, etc.)

Aside from a select few, almost all of my closest friends have been male.

I do not have a favorite color. (If forced to choose, I would say sage. Maybe.)

I was awarded a Red Shovel in high school, as the superlative for the student who could shovel the most BS.

This skill proved very useful in college.

I can “shop” all day and not buy anything.

My third grade teacher saw ‘talent’ and encouraged me to write, which drew my attention away from my first goal in life:

When I was eight, I thought I was going to be the first woman in the NBA.

I’m 5’6.

I played soccer for 13 years.

I have never smoked anything.

I love grocery shopping.

I drink far too much coffee (black - with Splenda)

My favorite job was as a coffee-girl at a local café.

I have vomited on public transportation.

I have visited at least 12 countries.

I can not roll my tongue

or whistle

I am always cranky when I wake up.

I was fired from a grocery store for stealing a kiwi.

(I was innocent)

My feet are perpetually cold.

I love the rain.

I sing jingle bells all year round.

I’m unabashedly proud of my son – even when all he’s doing is flapping a diaper and toddling around the living room.

I am profoundly affected by others.

I can accomplish anything that I set out to do,

Unfortunately, I can also be terribly lazy.

I can easily be deterred and discouraged.

I’m a terrible housekeeper.

I could eat ice cream every day – twice.

I change my outfit at least once before leaving the house for anything.

I fear buoys and objects that lie beneath the surface of water.

There are pieces of myself (or my life) in many of the characters that I create.

I have to crack the window whenever someone sneezes in a car.

I should not be allowed to hold babies while watching football - I tend to jump and scream.

I am never satisfied with anything that I write.

I am sarcastic.

Prior to meeting my husband, I was a shameless flirt.

I lived off of bread, jam, mustard and egg whites for four months.

I don’t like most “chick-flicks.”

I have the memory of a gnat when it comes to movies; I forget them completely within a week.

I abuse punctuation (ellipses and semi-colons, especially.)

Considering that I’m home all day, I don’t actually watch much television.

Exceptions: House, My Name is Earl & The Office

I am allergic to penicillin.

I love to critique other’s writing,

But I hate putting mine out to be critiqued (in a workshop setting.)

I am not thick-skinned.

I always feel guilty not giving money or food to homeless people that I pass on the streets.

I have traveled cross-country.

My favorite flower is the Calla Lily. I carried three of them down the aisle.

Perfume makes my nose itch. I don't wear it.

I fear failure, to the point of not trying.

I hope to have at least three children

But, I’m terrified to be pregnant again.

I gurgle, inexplicably.

I am often at a loss for words.

Despite my worrisome nature, I strive daily to trust God with my life.


7 Comments:

Blogger Barakah said...

Great post as usual! I really enjoy your writing. You were the first blog I ever linked to...and (I abuse ellipses too). Hope you, hubby, and your child have a great weekend.

Blogger Mella said...

Thanks Jacopo, I hope you have a great weekend as well. I'm sure you appreciate weekends even more than I do - a chance to get out of the classroom!

Blogger lilizzyykittyymom said...

I love this post, its such a great idea! I would love to use some of your ideas if you wouldn't mind!

Sometimes I Feel Like A Banana Tree

Blogger Mella said...

Banana Tree Mama~ Oh, by all means, use any ideas that are sparked by this page, with my blessing.

Blogger Jerry said...

Wow. This is great. Sometimes fun, sometimes mundane, sometimes funny, sometimes serious and important, but always an interesting and self-revealing excercise to share with readers, many you do not and cannot know. Very selfless and open. I am proud of you, Mella.

Blogger Novice said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger mindy said...

I came across your site and I have to say that this is very well written. I find that many of the items are just like me and made me think about what I would write about myself. Thanks!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer